Sun protection becomes even more critical during pregnancy because the skin is more sensitive to sun rays, especially in the first few months. Melanocytes, which are cells that produce pigments, flare up, so pregnant women are more likely to freckles, pigments, and other skin color issues like melasma. Pregnant women need to know more about sunscreens than just SPF. Yes, the spectrum does matter, but there are also other aspects that must be considered. A good sunscreen will not only protect the skin but will ensure that sun rays don’t affect the body negatively because the skin is the first defense.
In this post, we talk about some of the best sunscreens for pregnancy and how you can actually find one that fits your needs.
Reviewing the Best Sunscreen for Pregnancy
View Latest Price
|1||La Roche-Posay Anthelios Clear Skin Sunscreen SPF 60||$19.99|
|2||Beauty by Earth Self Tanner||$29.99|
|3||Thinkbaby Safe Sunscreen SPF 50+ (3 ounce)||$12.25|
|4||Sun Bum Original Moisturizing Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 70||$11.38|
|5||Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen||$27.99|
|6||Badger - Baby Sunscreen Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 30||$12.99|
La Roche-Posay is one of the best-known brands for skincare, and this product from the company comes with SPF 60. Note that this is a face sunscreen only, which doesn’t contain any Oxybenzone. The product works ideally for all weathers and features Cell-Ox Shield technology, so even women with sensitive skin can use it.
• World-famed brand
• SPF of SPF 60
• Cell-OX Shield technology
• Contains Antioxidants
• Water Resistant for up to 80 minutes
• Matte finish
• Slightly expensive for the tube size
For pregnant moms who are seeking a self-tanning lotion, this one from Beauty by Earth should fit the bill. This self-tanner gives the perfect sun-kissed skin and doesn’t cause any orange streaks or blotches on the skin. The product is one of the safest tanners in the market and doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals.
• Safe on the skin
• Perfect tanning effect
• No streaking
• No harsh chemicals
• ngredients include organic shea butter, organic coconut oil, and nutritive Japanese green tea
• Soft on the skin
• Brand guarantee
• Slightly expensive
• Not certified extensively for pregnant women.
One of the few sunscreens out there that don’t contain avobenzone, oxybenzone, paraben, phthalates, PABA, 1,4dioxane, and UV chemical absorbers. With SPF of 50+, this product is ideal for pregnant women, thanks to non-nano zinc oxide formulation, non-aerosol formulation. The product is certified to be Cruelty-free, Gluten-free & Vegan. Note that this is a product formulated for babies and adults can use.
• Easy to apply
• Safe for daily use
• No harsh chemicals
• Doesn’t contain oxybenzone
• Paraben, phthalates, PABA and 1,4 dioxane free
• Water Resistant for up to 80 minutes
• Clears Whole Foods Premium Care Requirements
• Not formulated specifically for pregnant women
Sun Bum brings this amazing sunscreen that can be considered for adults and children alike, and even for people with the extremely sensitive screen. With Broad Spectrum UVA / UVB Protection, the product is water resistant for as much as 80 minutes. Note that this is a certified vegan product.
• Parsol 1789 & Vitamin E Enriched
• SPF 70
• Non-comedogenic, Paraben-Free, Cruelty-Free, Gluten-Free, PABA free & Oil Free
• Ideal for sensitive skin
• Recommended by Skin Cancer Foundation (SCF)
• Absolutely none
Blue Lizard brings this sunscreen that doesn’t have Oxybenzone or Octinoxate, which makes it safe for pregnant women. The product reflects UV rays, thanks to the mineral-based formulation, and the brand is dedicated towards the protection of coral reefs.
• No Oxybenzone or Octinoxate
• Safe for sensitive skin
• SPF protection of 30+
• Mineral active Zinc Oxide provides true broad-spectrum protection
• Paraben-Free & Fragrance-Free
• Up to 40 minutes of water resistance
• Reduced SPF compared to other products
This sunscreen from Badger doesn’t contain any oxybenzone, octinoxate and offers broad-spectrum protection from harmful UVA & UVB rays, thanks to the use of non-nano mineral Zinc Oxide. The product is also water resistant for at least 40 minutes.
• No oxybenzone, octinoxate
• 6-ingredient formulation
• Zinc-oxide based broad spectrum protection
• Water resistant for at least 40 minutes
• Approved for babies and kids
• BPA & phthalate-free tube of recyclable plastic
• Comparatively expensive
• Less SPF
Tips for choosing the best sunscreen for pregnancy
• Know SPF better. For the uninitiated, sunscreen with SPF 50 blocks 98 percent blocks about 93 percent of UVB rays, and that’s the best you would need. At the very least, settle for something like SPF 30, but just because a sunscreen offers SPF 100 doesn’t mean it is the best in the market.
• Check the ingredients. Avoid sunscreens that have carbon-based compounds, which are not considered safe for pregnancy. Check product ingredients and ensure that the sunscreen doesn’t contain octinoxate, octisalate and avobenzone, especially oxybenzone. Your best bet are mineral sunscreens that typically contain zinc oxide.
• Check for broad-spectrum formulas. These are products that offer protection from both UVA and UVB rays. Keep an eye on the ingredients, and ensure that the product is safe for regular use.
• Brand counts. Go fora natural sunscreen, as much as possible, with least number of ingredients, and in that context, the brand does matter. Some of the brands listed in this post are extremely safe, cruelty-free and ensure that their production standards don’t impact the environment adversely.
• Avoid sun exposure. When you are pregnant, you need to avoid sun exposure as much as possible. Sunscreens are safe for sure, but your skin is absorbing a lot of pollution and other things outside, so watch how frequently you step out in the sun, especially in the peak middle hours of the day.
The best sunscreen for pregnancy is the one that’s safe to use, doesn’t contain carbon-based compounds, comes from a good brand and doesn’t have any traces of oxybenzone. Check online now and pick the one that works for you. If you have sensitive skin, check for products formulated for the purpose.