Firefighters have an important job of saving lives, and their regular routine demands working in conditions that are not exactly favorable for standard watches. Finding the best watches for firefighters or those with tactical jobs can be confusing. You have to consider the possible situations where a firefighter has to go in, and whether the watch is actually strong and sturdy enough to withstand the varied factors. The market is filled with choices, but you can still navigate through the choices if you look for the right features.
In this post, we discuss what makes for a good watch for firefighters, but before that, here’s a look at the top 6 products from the category.
Reviewing the Top 6 Watches for Firefighters
If you have been looking for a gift that honors a firefighter’s amazing commitment and hard work, this one from Bradford Exchange is ideal as a choice. The watch has a gold-tone finish and is designed to have that masculine appeal expected from such tough jobs.
• Ideal for gifting
• Amazing design
• Bracelet handcrafted in stainless steel
• Fire red watch face features a golden Maltese cross
• three chronograph sub-dials
• Excerpts from “For My Firefighter” poem engraved on the back of the watch
• Not the cheapest one
• Doesn’t mention anything about extensive durability or water resistance
A lot of firefighters prefer having a pocket watch and let’s agree that not everyone has a big budget. This one from Sigma Impex is a pocket watch, a basic one that has been designed for those who want a watch on the go. The design is pretty simple and straightforward, and a case is included for the price.
• Affordable price
• Simple pocket watch
• Professional appeal
• Ideal for gifting
• Not a chronograph model
• Not durable enough for tough conditions
• May not suit every firefighter’s needs
Casio G-Shock is one of the better-known collections for tactical and firefighter watches, and this product is a fully-functional model that comes with a stopwatch, countdown timer, full auto-calendar, and more. This is also a water-resistant watch so that firefighters can use it extensively in any situation or circumstance.
• Stopwatch, Countdown timer, Full auto-calendar
• World Time in 29 times zones
• Water resistant up to 200 meters
• Trusted brand of Casio
• Shock Resistant
• Ideal for military and outdoors-oriented activities
• 10-year battery life
• 10-meter free-fall endurance
• Absolutely none, except for the price point for some buyers
If you don’t want to buy expensive firefighters watch, this is one from Aqua Force. The watch is still water-resistant to some extent and is great for day to day use, while the plastic casing is quite durable. The strap is made from a quality silicone strap, which is meant for extensive use.
• Water-resistant for up to 30 meters
• Splash resistant
• Durable plastic casing
• Strap made of silicone
• Good design
• Two-year warranty from the manufacturer
• No stopwatch
• No time zones
• Doesn’t have sub-dials for advanced needs of firefighters
This is more of an outdoor watch that should work for firefighters, who want to buy something in a lower budget. Coming from the known house of Timex, this watch is lightweight, features Arabic numeral indices, has a resin case, and a nylon band. The product is also water-resistant, so it can be considered for swimming and snorkeling.
• Lightweight design
• Resin case
• Water resistant up to 100 meters
• Durable nylon band
• 24-hour inner ring and date window at 3 o’clock
• Not many advanced features
• The strap could have been better
This is another great watch from the Casio G Shock series, that’s also a limited-time edition. Features of the watch include alarm, Datum, Light, World time, and the product is designed to be shock resistant. It compares at par with other models from the G-shock series and is great for outdoor, much what firefighters need.
• Water-resistant for up to 200 meters
• Strong plastic case
• Super bright LED light
• Shock resistant
• Reliable brand
• Limited edition model
• There are other better watches in the G-shock series.
How to select the best watches for firefighters?
• There is nothing more important than durability. You have to find a watch that’s designed for outdoor activities and can withstand the conditions that firefighters often have to work in. The watch should work in the long run.
• The best watches have a stopwatch, countdown timer, full auto-calendar, and other features, such as World Time zones. Of course, it depends on the price you pay, but find a model that has more choices and inclusions.
• Shock resistance. A good firefighter watch should be shock-resistant, which means it shouldn’t break if dropped. Also, the product needs to be capable of taking pressure if situations demand so, without cracking, for which the casing is critical.
• Water resistance. This is a no-brainer. Firefighters often have to deal with water, and a good watch for them needs to be water-resistant, for at least 50 meters. Find something that’s better off up to 100 meters as an advanced option.
• For watches that need to be durable and stylish for jobs as tough as firefighting, it is necessary to find a brand that’s reliable. Companies like Casio, Timex have some amazing models for varied prices, and you can expect assistance, in case there is an issue. With known brands, you also get a warranty on the product, often exceeding two years.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is durability an important concept to consider while buying a watch for a firefighter?
Yes, as the firefighters work in harsh conditions, a watch should be tough enough to withstand the conditions. Watches should also last for many years in the environment in which firefighters work.
Does the watch of a firefighter be shock and water-resistant?
Yes, both aspects are important. The watch should not be damaged if it falls from a great height or in high-pressure conditions. It should also be water-resistant at least up to the depth of 50 meters.
What are the basic features a watch should have for the firefighter?
The best in market watch should contain features like- countdown timer, stopwatch, full-auto calendar and different time zones around the world. So, select the watch that has multiple features and also suits your pocket.
If you are looking for the best watches for firefighters, we recommend that you check beyond the price and go for one that offers genuine value for money in the long run. Think of this as an investment for a tough job.