Regular mowers don’t work on hilly slopes. The complex surfaces of hills require unique zero turn mowers that can adjust according to the various cutting conditions. The safety concerns increase in the hills, which makes it critical to choose the finest option. However, many people ask- are zero turn mowers good for hills? In this guide, you will find out the best zero turn mower for hills and understand the features that make them suitable for hills. So, keep reading to make mower selection easier for hills!
In a hurry? My favorite is this Ferris 2018 F400Z Zero Turn Mower. See it at Amazon.
|Ariens IKON-XL 60" Zero Turn Mower 24hp Kawasaki|
|Husqvarna Z242F Hydrostatic Zero Turn Riding Mower||$2,859.00|
|Ferris 2018 F400Z Zero Turn Mower||$4,699.00|
|Husqvarna Z142 Zero Turn Riding Mower||$2,699.00|
|Husqvarna RedMax RZT54 Zero-Turn Mower||$3,299.95|
|Husqvarna RedMax RZT48 Zero-Turn Mower||$3,099.95|
Reviewing Top 5 Zero Turn Mowers for Hills
These are the most reliable zero turn mowers you can leverage for hills:
It has an extremely powerful 24 hp engine and can handle heavy-duty jobs efficiently. Mowing shouldn’t be a laborious task for you, and this mowing machine takes care of that well. It comes with a padded seat having a high back, and there are armrests for greater support. With such features, the machine ensures a great deal of comfort. The cutting height can be chosen from the 13 positions available. This is a rugged machine and can be used for your commercial property as well.
• It comes with Hydro-Gear ZT-2800 Transaxles.
• The fabricated mower deck is 4½” deep.
• The steel frame is fully tubular.
• It could be a little pricey for some.
This zero turn mower has a Kawasaki engine that delivers 18 HP to ensure reliability in speed and startups. You get the maximum speed of 6.5 MPH. The mower is hydrostatic and useful with a no-maintenance transmission. Hence, you can use this mower in every condition for precision cutting without worrying about complicated maintenance. The safety is top-notch in the presence of park brakes that work automatically. The deck has ClearCut design to deliver 42 inches of proper bagging for the superior flow of air. The blades are made from advanced materials to perform effectively.
• Hydrostatic zero turn mower
• Automatic brake system
• Reliable startups with 18HP engine
• Minimal to no maintenance
• You need to purchase a bagger and mulching kit separately
When choosing a mower with zero turn for hills, you need proper deck spacing and reliable transmission. This model is known for its 48-inch deck and superior transmission. Moreover, this mower empowers your needs with its 21.5 HP engine of Kawasaki. This powerful engine protects against startup issues. The seating and controls are comfortable to support in hilly conditions. You can rely on cutting precision in all varieties of conditions.
• Intricate blade engagement of 0.25-inch cutting height
• Kawasaki engine of 21.5 HP
• Wide deck size of 48 inches
• The price might seem relatively expensive
This model from Husqvarna has a Kohler engine, delivering 17 HP with 6.5 MPH of maximum speed. The engine is reliable for performance, which is accompanied by the powerful zero turn transmission. This is the zero turn mower for hills that makes you worry-free and performs in all cutting conditions. Most importantly, the cutting deck of this mower has been reinforced with steel to enhance durability. You can bag, mulch and discharge the clippings. The device runs on an Air Induction system that draws airflow from the bottom and top of the mower deck.
• Superior cut with air induction technology
• Reinforced cutting deck with heavyweight steel
• No-maintenance needed
• Kohler engine of 17 HP
• You have to invest in a bagger and mulching kit for clippings
When you want the best of everything, this would be the right zero turn choice. This mower is simple to operate, simple to service and perfectly designed to perform for years. The cutting deck is made from steel with 10 gauge thickness and electric engagement of blades. This deck supports multiple cutting methods such as collecting, mulching, and side discharge. The Kawasaki engine runs on gasoline to offer reliable performance during startups and speeding. You get to fill the tank with 3.5 gallons of fuel.
• Fan-cooled pumps in the transmission
• Cutting width of 54 inches with three blades
• Multiple cutting methods
• Long-term durability
• The weight is 612 lbs, which seems a bit on the heavier side of mowers
RedMax has RZT48 to provide performance satisfaction with 23 HP Kawasaki engine and 48-inch cutting width. The model offers fabricated cutting deck of 10 gauge thickness and steel design. There are 3 blades that work on electric clutch engagement. So, you can cut in different conditions to collect, mulch and side discharge as well. The engine performs excellently with air cooling and gasoline power. With that, you can utilize its zero turn transmission for reliable performance on hills with a base height of 40 inches and a base length of 75 inches.
• Durable design with 23HP Kawasaki engine
• Steel reinforced cutting deck with an electric clutch blade engagement
• Regular service is necessary to maintain the performance quality
How to buy the best zero turn mower for hills?
• First of all, look at the model of zero turn mower to judge the riding ability in hills. It should feel comfortable when you operate the mower while riding.
• Compare the type of engine in mowers in terms of its manufacturer, engine’s horsepower, fuel type, and cooling ability. These factors define the performance, durability and maintenance requirement of mower engines.
• When evaluating the cutting deck, you can’t stop at its width. Go beyond that and look into the type of cutting methods it can offer. Find out the material used in the cutting deck and its thickness. The blades should provide an electric clutch for the ease and precision of cutting.
• The transmission should have a reliable manufacturer’s name on it. Understand the airflow and cooling function of the transmission to figure out how long can you trust while riding a mower.
• At last, you can analyze the dimensions of the mowers. The base height, base length, and weight are important features to focus on.
You can compare all the mentioned factors together to choose the best-suited zero turn mower. Try to find a balance of features to maximize performance and reliability.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you require a zero-turn mower to mow a lawn at hills?
Yes, zero turn lawn mower maneuver quickly with the help of versatile caster wheels. These mowers help to mow the lawn with curved walkaways or edges. But some reports, show these mowers can be a problem to run on steeper slopes.
Which zero turn mowers are best to run on hilly terrains?
Ariens IKON-X, Cub Cadet ZT1 42, John Deere Z345M 42, Husqvarna Z254, Troy-Bilt Mustang 24 HP, Toro 75750 are very good options for zero turn lawn mowers that run very effectively on hills.
What is the process of mowing uphill?
Cutting back and forth on the width side of the hill is a good option. Rolling up and down may cause the mower to be out of control. And one more thing to avoid is to turn while operating on the hill. You should also work slowly when mowing across the hill.
Zero turn mowers are designed to work in different cutting conditions. They usually offer a suitable range of engine power, which you need for hills. With the mentioned reviews and buying tips, you can now pick the right option and make the job easier than usual.