Are you planning to purchase a smoker?! Then, you must be feeling confused between electric vs propane smoker! Meat smoking enthusiasts seem divided between the two types. While many admire the modern-age electric smokers, others prefer the propane versions. To save you from this confusion, this guide has collected some of the best electric as well as propane smokers. These reviews will help you choose a smoker that exactly matches your needs. Plus, you will gain some valuable tips to further understand the right way of buying a smoker. So, let’s find out!
Comparing Electric Vs Propane Smokers
|Product Name||Char-Broil 19202101 Digital Electric Smoker||Masterbuilt 30" Digital Electric Smoker||Masterbuilt Electric Digital Smoker||Smoke Hollow PS4415 Propane Smoker||Masterbuilt 20051311 2-Door Propane Smoker|
725 Sq. Inch
720 Sq. Inch
721 Sq. Inch
717 Sq. Inch
|Item Dimensions |
32.5 x 18.1 x 16.5 in
19.88 x 20.47 x 33.27 in
19.68 x 16.93 x 32.13 in
24.47 x 33.29 x 60.83 in
21.1 x 21.4 x 43.5 in
|Item Weight |
Here is a list of electric vs. propane smoker reviews you can follow to make a selection:
This is an ideal electric smoker if you want to indulge in outdoor cooking, smoking or grilling. It enables you to cook a wide range of meats due to a vast internal space of 725 sq.in. The smokebox also has an optimal capacity to provide smoke for 4-7 hours without needing a refill. So, you can relax and let the meal get ready. With a large internal cooking area, you get 4 removable and adjustable racks to manage different foods. The model has a double-wall, insulated construction with a glass door, so you can look inside.
• Large internal cooking area
• Properly insulated walls for safety
• An integrated and removable food thermometer
• Smoke-tight, stainless steel lock
• No remote control
Masterbuilt electric smoker saves you time and energy with its digital panel. You can control the cooking time, temperature and on/off simply by pushing a button on the digital control panel. An excellent smoking quality is delivered by 4 chrome-coated racks. The smoker also has an air damper to adjust the smoke. Masterbuilt is known for its patented wood chip side loading system. It lets you add chips without having to open the door of the smoker.
• Thermostat integrated for temperature control
• Completely insulated body
• Air damper to control smoke
• Digital control panel
• You can’t see the food without opening the doors
This model of Masterbuilt electric smoker has a front controller. Besides that, you receive a cooking space of 721 square inches. The large cooking space is divided into four sections with chrome-coated smoking racks. Outdoor cooking doesn’t affect the visibility of the display. The LED blue control panel stays visible even when it gets direct sunlight. You can use the integrated thermostat to control the cooking temperature between 100 and 275 F.
• Redesigned drips pan with front-access
• Easy to smoke, boil, steam, fry or grill
• Front controller with easily readable display
• You might need additional accessories to smoke certain foods
This Smoke Hollow propane smoker has 2 burners made from stainless steel, which you can control independently. Plus, you get two external trays for wood chip loading to choose the flavor of the smoke. The grates are chrome-plated, while the cabinet is made from welded steel. There are multiple cooking sections for standard, jerky, and rib cooking. You don’t have to worry about cooking precision with the improved chimney and porcelain-coated pan for water. The heat indicator shows the smoking temperature, which lets you maintain the smoking temperature consistency.
• Stainless steel independent burners
• External wood chip loading trays
• Multiple cooking grids
• Heat indicator
• Smoker preparation takes longer than an electric smoker
Masterbuilt has this 2-door smoker that runs on propane. It contains four smoking racks that divide the 717 square inches of cooking area. The burner is made from stainless steel to efficiency. Plus, you get push-button ignition system to immediately prepare your smoker for the cooking process. The water pan and chip tray have porcelain coating. The doors get locked properly and provide top-notch insulation. The temperature gauge is built inside the door. The doors are divided into two sections. The upper section is larger and contains the cooking grids, while the lower section is smaller for a water pan and chip tray.
• Chrome-coated four smoking racks
• Regulator of type 1 and steel burner
• Quick ignition with a push-button
• It takes time to understand the temperature management
How to buy an electric or propane smoker?
• Between electric and propane smoker, you will be safer with an electric smoker. It makes preparation and temperature management easier. Hence, even newbies can immediately start using for smoking and grilling. However, if you are familiar with the process of using a propane smoker, there are some modern-age models which you can rely on.
• For any type of smoker, you need to look into the cooking provided. Space has to be large enough, so you can smoke multiple foods at once. Usually, an internal cooking capacity larger than 700 square inches serves the purpose. Evaluate the cooking racks inside. They should be suitable for the cooking needs you have in mind.
• Analyze the ability to maintain a smoking temperature in a smoker. For that, you need to analyze the construction of the walls and doors and thermostat if integrated. Proper insulation in the construction will help you maintain the temperature throughout the cooking process.
• Electric and propane smokers also differ in terms of the control panel. Electric smokers contain a digital display with easy-to-use buttons. On the other hand, propane smokers usually contain a regulator to manage the functions.
It must be clear to you now that electric smokers are simpler to use in comparison to a propane smoker. You get more features and additional functionalities to utilize. However, several propane smokers also have become aligned with modern-age requirements. Ultimately, it comes down to what suits you the best!
You should go through the listed smokers once again and use the mentioned tips to evaluate them. Make your personal list of requirements and compare with the features of the options. This will help you make the best selection.