The skin around the eyes is 10 times thinner than the rest of the face, and much like any part of the body, it must be protected from harmful rays of the sun. If you have sensitive skin, chances are high that the skin around the eyes is equally sensitive. There are some really good sunscreens that doesn’t Burn my Eyes, but looking for the one can require some homework. The choice for sunscreen for sensitive eyes has to be more than just looking at the SPF because everything from the brand to the ingredients does matter.
In this post, we are discussing more on how you can select the right sunscreen when your skin is more sensitive than the average Joe, along with products that we absolutely love and would recommend.
Reviewing the Top 8 Sunscreen for Sensitive Eyes
View Latest Price
|1||Neutrogena Face Sunscreen for Sensitive Skin||$12.79|
|2||La Roche-Posay Anthelios Melt-In Sunscreen||$35.99|
|3||EltaMD UV Clear Facial Sunscreen Broad-Spectrum SPF 46||$28.00|
|4||Cerave 100% Mineral Sunscreen SPF 50||$14.50|
|5||Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen||$28.50|
|6||Eucerin Daily Protection Face Lotion||$7.20|
|7||Vanicream Sunscreen SPF 50+||$45.23|
|8||Burt’s Bees Sensitive Daily Moisturizing Cream||$11.39|
This broad-spectrum UVB/ UVA sunscreen has active ingredients in it derived from 100% natural sources. If you are sick and tired of sunscreens clogging your pores, then you will find this product extremely helpful as it is noncomedogenic. Meaning, it doesn’t clog skin pores. Hence, non-comedogenic sunscreens do not cause breakouts. Also, if you sweat a lot, this product could bring great relief to you as it is water and sweat resistant, effective for 80 minutes. Further, a lot of people can’t tolerate strong fragrances. If you are one among them, just buy this product as it is absolutely fragrance-free.
• This is a hypoallergenic sunscreen.
• It has an oil-free composition. Hence, ideal for oily skin types.
• Might sting your eyes.
This is a broad-spectrum sunscreen having an SPF of 60. The product remains water-resistant for 80 minutes. Another amazing quality of this product is that it is fast-absorbing and leaves no greasiness on your skin. The product also offers high UVA protection of PFA 26 because of which your skin remains shielded from harmful UV radiation. It is a fragrance-free product, best suited for people who are allergic to strong smells.
• Noncomedogenic product. Never blocks the pores on your skin.
• It is PABA free
• It contains traces of toxic oxybenzone.
This is one of the best sunscreens out there for sensitive skin. It is recommended by dermatologists and has a mineral-based formula, containing 9.0% transparent zinc oxide. The product is also ideal for people who have acne-prone skin, and unlike other sunscreens, it doesn’t leave behind any residue. SPF of 46 is fine for long day use.
• No fragrance, oil, or parabens
• SPF of 46
• Zinc-oxide –a mineral-based formula
• Antioxidant protection
• Broad spectrum protection against UVA and UVB rays
• Recommended by The Skin Cancer Foundation
• Slightly expensive than others
If you are looking for a slightly better sunscreen for sensitive skin around the eyes, this product from Cerave is a great pick. It contains a mineral-based formula with both Zinc Oxide & Titanium Dioxide with SPF protection of 50. The product offers complete protection against UVA/UVB rays and can be used under the eyes.
• 100% Mineral-based sunscreen
• Contains Zinc Oxide & Titanium Dioxide
• Special formulation for moisture lock-in
• Hawaii Compliant Sunscreen – contains no oxybenzone
• Doesn’t contain oil, paraben, fragrance-free, chemical filters
• Suited for adults and kids.
• Winner of many awards
• The pricing could have been cheaper
• Not mentioned water resistance
Blue Lizard brings this sunscreen for sensitive skin that has been produced with the highest standards, to avoid any damage to the coral reef. The product with SPF 30+ is ideal for day to day use and doesn’t contain Oxybenzone or chemicals that may harm the skin. This is a mineral-based formula.
• Does not contain any chemical active ingredients
• Mineral- based sunscreen
• Dermatologist Recommended
• Contains Zinc Oxide for broad-spectrum protection
• No parabens and fragrance
• Water resistance up to 40 minutes
• SPF could have been better
• Not ideal for long-day use
Eucerin brings this daily sunscreen that’s ideal for both sensitive and dry skin, with SPF protection of 30. The brand is recommended by dermatologists for people with extremely sensitive skin, and this particular product offers broad-spectrum protection against UVB and UVA rays. The sunscreen also doubles up as a moisturizer and keeps the skin glowing for the entire day.
• Recommended by Dermatologist
• Broad spectrum protection
• Contains no fragrance
• Moisturizes for 24 hours
• Clinically tested for sensitive skin
• Aptly priced
• Not water resistant
• Brand doesn’t specify about chemical ingredients
• SPF protection could have been better
If you don’t mind spending a tad more on your sunscreen, this twin-pack of sunscreens from Vanicream with SPF of 50+ should work for your daily needs. The product is water resistant for up to 80 minutes and doesn’t contain any dyes, fragrance, chemicals that may irritate the skin.
• SPF protection of 50+
• Broad spectrum sunscreen
• Free of parabens, dyes, lanolin
• Safe for sensitive skin
• Contains both titanium oxide and zinc oxide
• Water resistant
• Expensive than most products on the list
• Does contain chemicals
This is not exactly a sunscreen, but we included it in our list anyway because the skin around your eyes needs extra moisturization too. The product comes from the trusted house of Burt’s Bees and is a complete facial moisturizer with as much as 98.9% natural ingredients. It doesn’t cause any skin irritation and can be used for long hours after sun exposure.
• Complete face moisturizer
• Formulation for sensitive skin
• 9% natural moisturizer
• Tested by Dermatologists
• Won Awarded National Eczema Association Seal of Acceptance.
• Not a sunscreen, so no sun protection
How to Choose Sunscreen for Sensitive Eyes?
There are some of the basic aspects you need to check –
• Broad spectrum protection. You want a sunscreen that can protect sensitive eyes and skin from sun damage caused by both UVB and UVA rays. These rays can cause aging and skin damage, and the sunscreen should prevent both.
• SPF is important. You already know that SPF is critical for choosing a sunscreen that don’t Burn my Eyes, and we recommend something with at least SPF 30. Go for SPF 50, if you can find the right product. You don’t actually need anything more than SPF 70.
• Check the brand. With sunscreens, the brand is important because you want to be sure that the product is safe for sensitive eyes and skin. Go for one of the relevant brands that get their products clinically tested.
• Find a mineral-based sunscreen. These sunscreens typically contain either zinc oxide or titanium oxide, or both. Avoid products that have carbon-based compounds, especially oxybenzone, which is very harmful to the skin.
• Formulated for sensitive skin. This one is a no-brainer. You have to consider a sunscreen that’s designed for use on sensitive skin, and it must be safe for kids and adults alike. Make sure that the product is recommended by dermatologists and is ideal for daily use.
When you want the best sunscreen for sensitive eyes, always select one that offers broad-spectrum protection and has SPF of 30 or more. Just check the brand’s reputation and read the ingredient list in full before taking the final call.